Recreation is an inspiring word when you think about it. Broken down, the word becomes RE-CREATION. Every time you row, you re-create your body, mind and spirit. You become a new version of yourself. Yet, if you stop to think about it, you’re not changing much. You simply discard the old junk that blocks your authentic, vibrant self from shining through.
Rowing helps us be the best version of ourselves.
Why? Every day we see how rowing makes people more youthful and healthy. Confidence, independence and zest for life increase when we spend more time moving over the water.
As we age, we need activities to inspire recreation. Fear, lack of confidence and staying comfortable often get in the way of creating your best self. We have seen our customers use rowing to help heal chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart conditions when combined with a healthy lifestyle and sound medical advice.
In 2023, here are 23 reasons why rowing is one of the best tools for the recreation of the body, mind and spirit:
- Rowing is a full-body workout: Rowing engages muscles in your arms, legs, and core, making it a great total-body workout.
- Rowing is low-impact: Unlike running or other high-impact activities, rowing is easy on your joints and less likely to cause injuries.
- Rowing is great for cardiovascular fitness: The meditative rowing motion can provide an excellent cardiovascular workout that boosts circulation.
- Rowing can be adventurous: Once rowing skills such as oar and boat handling are well learned, and your boat is suitable, then rowing out in wind and waves is the ultimate adventure and major fun.
- Rowing is a social activity: Many people enjoy rowing as a group activity, whether it’s with a club or just a group of friends.
- Rowing can be meditative: The rhythmic motion of rowing can be soothing and calming, making it a great form of stress relief.
- Rowing can be challenging: Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rower, there’s always room to improve and challenge yourself.
- Rowing can be done at your own pace: Rowing can be as intense or as leisurely as you want it to be, making it suitable for people of all fitness levels.
- Rowing can be a lifelong activity: Unlike some sports that are more strenuous on the body, rowing can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
- Rowing can be beautiful: Whether you’re rowing on a serene lake or in the midst of a bustling city, there’s something special about being on the water.
- Rowing can be an excellent way to cross-train for other sports: The full-body workout and cardiovascular benefits of rowing can help improve performance in other sports and activities. Runners, bikers, weight lifters and swimmers all love cross-training with this activity.
- Rowing is a great way to see new places: Whether rowing on a local river or traveling to a new location for a rowing competition, rowing can be a great way to explore new areas.
- Rowing can be a fun and unique vacation activity: Many vacation destinations offer rowing tours or rentals, allowing you to explore a new place from a different perspective. Our Oar Board packs up easily, allowing you to row wherever you go.
- Rowing can be a great way to spend time with friends and family: Rowing is a social activity that can bring people of all ages together and create lasting memories.
- Rowing can be a great way to get outside and enjoy nature: Whether you’re rowing on a lake or a river, you’ll have the opportunity to be outdoors and enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Rowing can be a great way to challenge yourself physically and mentally: Rowing requires both physical and mental stamina, making it a great way to push yourself and improve your overall fitness.
- Rowing can be a great way to improve posture and flexibility: The rowing motion can help improve posture and flexibility in the back, shoulders, and hips.
- Rowing can be a great way to build strength: The repetitive motion of rowing can help build strength in the arms, legs, and core.
- Rowing can be a great way to improve endurance: The sustained cardiovascular workout of rowing can help improve endurance and overall fitness.
- Rowing can be a great way to meet new people: Many enjoy rowing as a social activity and find it a great way to meet new friends.
- Rowing can be a great way to stay active and healthy: Regular rowing can help improve overall health and well-being.
- Rowing can be a great way to relieve stress: The rhythmic motion and meditative qualities of rowing can be a great way to relax and de-stress.
- Rowing can be a great way to try something new: Whether you’re a seasoned athlete or new to fitness, rowing can be a fun and rewarding activity to try.
By Adam Kreek, Olympic Gold Rower